Work Permit

For working in Canada it is necessary to have a work permit, which lasts most often for 2 years with a possibility of extension.

There are two types of work permits:

WORK PERMIT” - common work permit, it is bound to a specific employer and a specific profession. It has the specified validity period.

"OPEN WORK PERMIT" - with this authorization holder may carry out any work that is not regulated and subjected to license. It has the specified validity period. This permit is issued to the:

  • Spouses and common-law partners of some workers and international students,
  • Permanent residence applicants who have applied to an office in Canada,
  • Dependent family members of some permanent residence applicants,
  • Refugees, refugee claimants, protected persons and their family members,
  • Some temporary resident permit holders, or
  • Some young workers participating in special programs.

In each of these situations, applicant must meet additional criteria to be eligible.


Work without work permit

Following profesions can work in Canada without a permit

  • Athlete or coach
  • Aviation accident or incident investigator
  • Business visitor
  • Civil aviation inspector
  • Clergy
  • Convention organizer
  • Crew member
  • Emergency service provider
  • Examiner and evaluator
  • Expert witness or investigator
  • Family member of foreign representative
  • Foreign government officer or representative
  • Health care student
  • Judge, referee or similar official
  • Military personnel
  • News reporter or film and media crew
  • Producer or staff member working on advertisements
  • Performing artist
  • Public speaker
  • Short-term highly-skilled worker
  • Short-term researcher
  • Foreign Student enrolled at the post-secondary school (College, University)

In each of these situations, applicant must meet additional criteria to be eligible.